This Page

has been moved to new address

It had to happen eventually....

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

14 August 2005

It had to happen eventually....


MOROCCAN CARROT SALAD, originally uploaded by shaunaforce.

This afternoon, I ventured downtown in the car, snaked around the streets in snarky traffic, and wandered down Virginia Street in the brilliant sunshine. And of course, I was headed to...

Pike Place Market.

I’ve been resisting writing about the Market here. It’s such a Seattle cliche. You’ve seen the videos of burly men in orange waterproof overalls, flinging fish above the heads of gawking toursists. Those of us who live here roll our eyes as we walk by, toward the fish markets deep in the Market, where the tourists never make it. And the image that still delights me when I see it—the Public Market sign in neon red, against a blue sky, a green and white ferry gliding by on the waters of Puget Sound—makes me cringe a little when I see it on the thousandth postcard. No writer wants to write about that place, again.

Except...

Except that the real place, when you’re walking in it, is different, and better, than the postcards could ever be. A clothesline of colored chiles against the skyscrapers in the background. A man swathed in balloons, selling squeaky animals to passing children. Photographers hawking their wares on the cobblestoned streets with a smile. Lefty’s World, a thin sliver of a store on the underground level, selling items only appropriate to left-handed people. The magic shop, stuffed with trick coins and disappearing rabbit hats. Sosio’s Fruit Stand, where all the men working there (especially the gay ones) flirt with you kindly as you pick out fresh basil. Mexican grocery stores selling coconut candies in the colors of the Mexican flag and rows of Goya garbanzo beans. Cheese shops with a tempting spread of cheeses around the world. A Bolivian restaurant with a balcony overlooking it all. And about a hundred other sensory details and little curiosities. When I’m there, I cannot stop smiling.

The Market is enough to convince even the most stubborn and sullen that eating gluten-free is actually a blessing. Here is a small smattering of stores to visit in the Market (and there are many, many more. You’ll hear about them all eventually.):

° DeLaurenti’s is a gourmet, gluten-free girl’s dream. Stuffed with unusual foods, expensive olive oils, and more luxuries that will soon become basics than any place I have ever been, DeLaurenti’s always tempts me. As I walked by with some friends today, they suggested we stop in. “Oh no,” I said. “We have to eat lunch first. If I go in there hungry, I spend $140 without even thinking about it.”

° Luckily, we ended up at El Puerco Lloron instead. Down the hill from the Market proper, on the Pike Street Hillclimb, this is a little gem you might easily miss. Look for the brass pig in front. When we first walked in, I noticed the young Mexican woman behind the counter, pulling off a mass of dough from her pile of fresh masa, pressing them into the tortilla press, and flipping them on the griddle, methodically. “Hey, I did that yesterday!” I thought, then pointed out to my friends. Of course, hers were much more even. It’s an unpretentious place, with wobbly tables and a breeze blowing through the windows. As someone had written in the newspaper review tacked up on the wall, it’s like a little cantina on a border town. Ten choices, all with warm corn tortillas. I had the biscet de pollo, which was grilled chicken in a spicy red sauce, with fluffy rice and pinto beans. And a Jarritos lemon-lime soda. And I’m guessing that wheat flour has never touched the place. I was beaming with the good food, knowing I wasn’t going to get sick.

° Beware when you enter The Spanish Table. The wall of foods will entice you. The gorgeous pottery upstairs will start you dreaming of dishes to serve on them. And the little cafe requires you to sit next to the case of fresh cheeses from Mexico and Spain. I defy you not to buy any. I was thrilled to see something I didn’t know existed: Dagoba hot chocolate with chiles and cinnamon. Dagoba makes delicious organic chocolate bars that state “gluten-free” on the back. Try the Mon Cheri first. I didn’t buy any hot chocolate, because it’s August, but I’m going back at the first sign of fall.

° Beecher’s Cheese. They’ve been in business for a little over a year, making hand-forged cheeses. The open store with high ceilings inspires you to stay. Buy some cheeseboards and little graters. Their cheeses are all great, and now some of them have aged sufficiently to be considered great. But I still like the cheese curds best.

° Sur La Table will steal your money. Oh, I suppose it isn’t really stealing, since you hand over your credit card to them. But this exquisite cooking store is designed so nicely, nicely enough to make you wander through the shelves with your mouth hanging open in amazement. Le Creuset cookware. Pasta makers from Italy. Large plates in vivid jewel tones. Garlic presses. Espresso machines. Pepper grinders. Walls of cookbooks. Margarita mixes. Silpats. Kitchen-Aid food processors....Okay, I’m out of breath just thinking about it. The people who work there are wonderfully knowledgeable and low-key Seattle. They don’t bob around you, saying, “Can I help you? Can I?” But when you have a question, they know. They’re all cooks and gourmets. My dream is to someday own every single thing in Sur La Table. That’s why I consider myself lucky that today I walked out with only: a new plate, saucer, and bowl; a Zyliss food chopper; a ravioli press; and this Jamie Oliver cookbook. I can only go in so often.

And that’s only scratching at the surface of the spectacle and rewards.

Whenever I’m in the Market, I remember the Samuel Johnson quote about London: “Whoever is tired of London is tired of life.” Yes, like that.

A few years ago, I dated a man who lived on 2nd Avenue, in one of the only tall apartment buildings in downtown Seattle. We had fun, for about two months. He made me laugh for a bit. We bantered. And then it ended. In fact, it probably should have ended before that. But the thing is, he was on the 20th floor, with enormous windows, overlooking Elliott Bay. Spectacular. But more than that, when I was standing up against his living-room window, with a glass of wine in my hand, I stared right down to the Market. We had our first date at Shea's Lounge. We looked for Christmas presents in the empty stalls in December. When he wanted to make us dinner, he just walked across the street to DeLaurenti’s, and asked the guys at the cheese counter: “What’s best today?” We strolled through the cobblestoned streets at night, hand in hand. It was hard to resist. But that’s the allure of the Market. You’ll keep dating a man who’s not right for you, just for his proximity to the place.

CITRUS-GLAZED BABY CARROTS

During the summer, the Market has a special on Sundays. They block off the main street to cars and set out stalls filled with fresh fruit. And cooking demonstrations. This afternoon, Dawnula Koukul, from the indescribably good Cafe Flora, did a demonstration on cooking with carrots. The photo above is taken from the deeply satisfying Moroccan carrot salad she made for us (sadly, she didn’t give us the exact recipe). Better suited for fall, these baby carrots still tasted great with the sun shining on our arms.

2 pounds baby carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large orange
1 lime
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 cup of cornstarch, mixed with 1/4 cup of water to make a slurry
salt to taste

° Clean and peel the carrots. Toss with the oil, put on a sheet tray and put in a preheated 350-degree oven for about 45 minutes (or until al dente).
°Zest and juice the orange and lime. Put the juice and zest in a saucepan with the maple syrup, herbs, and spices. Bring to a boil, then add the cornstarch slurry and bring up to a boil again. Add the carrots, coat, and serve.

8 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna, I have to say, your photos are amazing. ('scuse me, gotta wipe a spat of drool from my keyboard) I, as in Naiah, the girl for whom food is usually little more than an afterthought, am positively scintillated by them!!! We have got to go do the market sometime so that you can enlighten me!!!

A dinner party is so gonna happen. Oh yes. So gonna happen.

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Another great creation! I hope you don't mind, but I shared your blog address with my Aunt who has Celiac Disease. She wants to share it with her gluten intolerance support group. They are going to love it.

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great blog, love your writing and photos.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Shauna, when I think of my one visit (so far) to Seattle, the place that stands out most in my mind is Pike's Market. I've yet to find another that compares. And Sur La Table is fabulous, too bad they don't have a store in Toronto. Well it's probably a good thing for my wallet anyway.

Great post, it brought back some great memories.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree about Sur La Table, I had my first experience on Saturday. They have a store in NJ now - at the Freehold Raceway Mall. I walked out with...

1 Mario Batali large spatula
1 set of MB condiment/measuring bowls
1 bottle HotLime Hot Sauce
1 jar Fudge Fatale Fudge Sauce
1 Pancake batter dispenser

Spent $40! In about 20 minutes. I also saw the new Le Creuset Garlic Casserole. I have to have it! They also make a tiny size too. For what I don't know!

That is one serious foodie store. I didn't check the cookbooks because I knew they were full price. I only pay discount on those. A girl has to save somewhere!

The pictures on your blog are great. I feel like I can eat that avocado right off the computer! Yum.

Good job.

RisaG
www.geocities.com/radiorlg

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Shauna said...

Naiah--

I'm so happy you're slobbering on your keyboard because of me. And dinner party? Yes. Soon.

Steph--

Please share the blog address with anyone you think might like it. Hearing that your aunt will share it with her gluten-intolerance group just makes my day. That's why I'm writing, after all--to help other people like me.

Anonymous--

Thank you, whoever you are. Come on back.

Ruth--

Please let me know when you're coming back to Seattle! We'll go to Sur La Table together and try not to be tempted.

Risa--

Come to think of it, I think I need everything on your list too.

Thanks for reading. Come on back.

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imeem Launches P2P Social Network
Find out how an integrated IT mobility strategy can deliver ROI, productivity improvements, better employee performance, improved responsiveness and better utilisation of IT investments.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a programy site/blog. It pretty much covers programy related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna-

Your blog is such an inspiration to me! I have been feeling unwell for a couple of years and food has been a means to an end. I have celiac but am waiting to have my 'gold standard' diagnosis by biopsy so I cannot go gluten-free yet. Reading your entire blog made me very anxious to go gluten-free so I can begin feeling better. My brother lives in the Seattle area and works downtown--he is going gluten-free without a diagnosis and I am sure he will love all the great info on your blog. I will love having the resource when I travel out ther for a visit! For now, the recipes are great and I can't wait to try the green olive relish.

Keep being an inspiration and helping those of us who have to transition to the gluten-free lifestyle by making it interesting!

Carrie
in Iowa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home