This Page

has been moved to new address

finally, a breakfast that does not involve eggs

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

22 October 2006

finally, a breakfast that does not involve eggs

Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Gluten-Free Cereal.

Brown rice, buckwheat, corn, and sorghum. Gorgeous.

And when I gave a bowl to the Chef to eat, loaded up with organic maple syrup, roasted cashews, and dried cranberries, he looked up at me from his bowl and said, "This is good."

Eureka.

(Of course, that was yesterday. He's in the kitchen making eggs over easy right now. But tomorrow, we'll go back to hot cereal and actually eat some whole grains!)

7 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger celticjig said...

Hi there! I have been following your blog for a while and look forward to trying the peanut butter and lemon olive oil cookies soon! I have been diagnosed Celiac only since last May. I am a foodie and a home brewer and so did pick up a 6 pack of the Ramapo beer recently at Whole Foods in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I really didn't like it at all, but that could be because I am used to making my own Porters, Stouts and IPAs. If you get the chance, see if you can find Lakefront's New Grist (Wisconsin). It is much better than Ramapo's, but still has a bit of residual sweetness.
I am working on ramping up to brewing gluten free beers here at home, as soon as I can find all the malt sources I will need.
I enjoy your site and the recipes and it is encouraging to know that others are dealing with the same thing I am.
You have mentioned nice crusty GF bread several times. Are you willing to share your recipe? I so miss a nice crusty sourdough bread!!!

My blog site is http://freshzingiber.blogspot.com/
Congrats on the book contract, I look forward to running to my local bookstore next fall to grab a copy!

 
At 4:58 AM, Blogger madre-terra said...

Yum. I, too, like hot cereal in the morning.
The picture is so sumptious that I almost leaned over and licked the screen.

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that stuff! Never thought to add nuts and cranberries though. You site is so inspiring, it's really helping me to make our diet much more interesting. Thank you!

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, girl ... long time, no write. Am so happy for you on ALL the many levels to be happy for you, if you get my drift.

Regarding HOT BREAKFAST, NO EGGS ... I finally bit the bullet and tried the new Gluten Free Oats. I'd never been able to eat oats before, so my hopes were not high. I feared my problem would be the actual "oats" and not cross-contamination. But I have had zero problem with these, and they are wonderful. I make hubs jealous, because the quality of these oats is so much less processed (though they are rolled) than the ol' Quaker we all grew up with -- they are so so good.

And I am with "celticjig" on the New Grist beer. Really, not half bad. And, if I were not GF, I'd say it was actually drinkable and not at all a "make do" kind of thing. Not Tsingtao, which was my favorite in times never to be returned to -- but still really quite OK.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Shauna...

I LOVE this photo! You captured the essence and warmth of the cereal- the steam curling out of the bowl. It warms me to my toes!

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't made this in ages. Thanks for reminding me.

First, you have to have banana bread:

In a microwave safe bowl (do you have a microwave?), mix

1 mashed banana
1 egg
1/4 cup honey (alter for preferred sweetness)

Then add
1 cup almond flour
1/3 tsp (approx) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix it all up. Scrape the sides of the bowl clean . Cook in microwave on high for about 3.5 minutes. (You'll have to play with the time depending on the strength of your microwave---the center of the bottom of the bread should be cooked when you turn it out on a plate.)

Turn it out on a plate and microwave again for 30 seconds.

Let it cool a bit. The bread is very nice as is or with butter or with jam. Really: this is the banana bread I always wished I could make when I baked with wheat.

But for the ultimate hot breakfast treat, slice another banana into a hot frypan with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon (and honey or sugar if the banana isn't super ripe). Cook a few minutes until it's carmelized and happy.

Toast a couple of slices of your banana bread. Add a dollop of yogurt. Top with the fried banana. Drizzle with honey (or your sweetener of choice). Now you've got yourself all the comfort of hot cereal without the indigestion!

---Lisa

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger E! said...

Shauna, I love this breakfast but where have you been??? It's almost Thanksgiving and not a peep from you in WEEKS!!? Come back! We need you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home