This Page

has been moved to new address

Is all this rain giving you the sniffles?

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

06 November 2006

Is all this rain giving you the sniffles?


chicken noodle soup, originally uploaded by shaunaforce.

I've been on the verge of a cold for days: sniffles, a little wheeze in the chest, a certain sleepiness that bespeaks of a virus trying to make its way to the surface. But I refuse to give in to it.

I have a book to write. I have a day off with the Chef to live. I have apple sorbet to make. I have to jump in all the puddles of three inches (and still more coming) of rain that fell on Seattle today. Apparently, there are still 1500 miles of rain heading our way in the next two days.

What could be better than a bowl of gluten-free chicken noodle soup? The Chef made me chicken stock, then dictated a recipe to me while he was working in his kitchen. I made some a few days ago, and I have been dining off it for days. Redolent of rosemary, the broth warm and inviting, all of it comfort -- I never miss canned soup anymore.

I could post the recipe now. But you know what? Life calls. Tomorrow.

The rivers will still keep rising. More rain in the morning. There will be need for this soup more than on this day. For now, just enjoy the photo, then go make your own.

Addendum: well, of course, if you're going to ask like that, Fiona and Christian, I don't see how I can resist.

QUICK CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

This recipe is dependent on you having good chicken stock on hand. If you must, you could use boxed stock or even gluten-free chicken broth. However, trust me — you want to start making stock.
This recipe also makes a small pot of soup. I was home, alone, with the Chef on the phone as he simmered stock at his restaurant. Feeling lousy, I called him and asked him what to do. Therefore, this recipe only serves one stuffed-up woman. You could easily double it or triple it, should you wish to feed more people.


1 carrot, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, cut in half lengthwise, then chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1/2 teaspoon rosemary, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cups chicken stock
1 chicken breast, already cooked, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup gluten-free noodles

Heat a saucepan, then add the olive oil. Sautée the carrot, celery stalks, onion, and garlic together, on medium heat. Stir occasionally, making sure they do not burn. When the vegetables start to smell warm and autumnal, and the onion has become translucent, add the rosemary to the mix. Stir and let the flavors mingle.

Add the chicken stock and bring the heat to medium-high. Let the stock and vegetables simmer and dance, until the stock has come to a gentle boil. Let it continue to boil for about ten minutes, to roll the flavors in.

Add the cooked chicken to the pan and let the soup cook for another five minutes or so. At the end, add the gluten-free noodles. (Beware: don't put too many in. It's tempting to think you will need more and more, but you won't. They puff up and soak up all the liquid, and then you are left with noodles and a few tablespoons of liquid. Trust me. I know.) Check for a soft bite on the noodles, after about five minutes. Add your favorite salt to the soup, stir, and serve.

Serves one, over the course of a long afternoon of sniffling.

11 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna, It is so splendid to see/hear/read you are so happy. It certainly does a body good to know that there is lovliness in the world. Couple of things..

1. The photo of the soup you posted made me smile - thank you for making me happy with the image of soup.

2. How could you NOT post the recipe??? Life? Huh??? What about the Life of your loyal readers?? What are we going to do with the thought of the soup but no reality of the soup? Hurumph.

3. My mum has decided to go gluten free to see how it affects her now she has IBS. It was such a pleasure to give her the link to your site and tell her to "Have at it!" I am sure she will find it a wonderful help.

4. Maybe my mum will make me some chicken soup if I ask her nicely....

lots of love from London,
Fiona

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about not having time to get sick!! I have a wicked head cold just in time for a food event wed. night and then the Intl. Celiac Symposium Thu/Fri/Sat!! [Achoo!] What usually works wonders at the fighting stage you're at is Astragalus drops and Elderberry extract found at any vitamin store. I obviously didn't take mine in time! Hope you kick it!

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please, please, pleeeaaase, post the recipe!!!
My two year old (wheat and dairy) has a bad cold and croup now and I've been searching for things to give him. All the "comfort" foods are forbidden and he's getting tired of bananas, apples, and rice!!
Hope you kick your cold, they've been nasty already. Feel better soon!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Traca Savadogo said...

Yum! I love the idea of adding rosemary...I've only recently started enjoying rosemary but I can see how it would perk up the flavors of a good chicken soup. Thanks Chef...and Shauna. :)

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Tea said...

Feel better, my dear!

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any suggestions for chicken stock or do you make your own? I've purchased some GF packages but they've been way too salty. Ideas would be appreciated. I'd love an unsalty bowl of chicken noodle soup... Get well soon!

 
At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many, many thanks!! Now I know what's for dinner tonight!! I can't wait to try it!!
Happiness all around = )

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That soup looks delicious! I may try it with my homemade egg noodles, adapted with the Gluten-Free Pantry's french bread and pizza crust mix as the flour. Are you going to publish a good stock recipe one day?

 
At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!! May your sniffles snuffle you no more!

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

Fiona,

I like making you happy. And if I can help your mom, even better! Tell her to make you some soup in compensation. I'm so glad to hear that London seems to be working well for you, although I still wish you were here!

Kelly,

Oh dear, I hate the idea of you going around that conference with the sniffles. But I'm so excited for you that you can go. I'm jealous!

Christian,

Oh my goodness, my feeling tired is no match for your two-year-old with croup! Of course I'll post the recipe.

Seattle Tall Poppy,

Yes, you know the rosemary addition wasn't mine. That boy... It seriously rocks, however. Yum.

Tea,

Thank you, my dear. I'm certain that a big cup of tea and a long conversation with you would have helped enormously.

Dee,

Oh dear, didn't I put up that link? I use the Zuni Cafe stock recipe, which is on my site in the recipe index. However, the Chef has been teaching me a different, cheaper way, which I'll let you know about soon.

Christian,

My goodness, I'm so happy to provide that happiness!

ljallbee,

Yours sounds good too. See above about the stock.

Fiona,

They are not snuffling now! Maybe it was your wish that did it.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger funkEpunkEmonkE said...

Shauna,
I made this recipe with rice, because gluten free pasta is too damn expensive in Rhode Island. It was delicious, to say the least. I have a feeling that it's not just because of the recipe, but because I used a just-killed-this-morning chicken. How fresh are your chickens?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home