This Page

has been moved to new address

we interrupt this break to bring you

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

04 January 2007

we interrupt this break to bring you

yes to the blog post

The Chef and I have been lounging in bed until noon, looking at recipes in Gourmet magazine, and contemplating homemade pomegranate marshmallows, artichoke ravioli made out of potato slices, and every recipe out of Jamie's Italy. Long walks, movies until late at night, laughing over the newspaper, and even talking about the wedding and its planning.

Yeah, I know. I met the Chef, we're deeply in love, I got a book deal, and I made my deadline. You probably don't want to hear another bit of my good news.

However, I have to interrupt this planned week of silence to announce something that floors me. Again.

Over at WellFed, the Food Blog Awards for 2006 have been announced. To my delight, I find that I have been nominated for Best Food Blog, with a Theme. Having one this award last year, I never expected that I would be nominated again for the same award. Thank you. The theme of this website certainly starts with living gluten-free. However, what I have found -- particularly this year -- that in writing about gluten-free, I am simply writing about living. And since April, that means writing about loving.

My dear little blog has also been nominated for another award, one that particularly moves me: best food blog post. My YES post the one where I announced how the Chef and I fell in love, deeply and immediately. It is also where I revealed that we are going to be married this summer. Most importantly, I wrote it, in the first draft, entirely for the two of us. That we allowed the outside world to read it was a secondary decision. That piece of writing was my anniversary present to him.

We really do have a love affair with food.

It cannot be a surprise -- and thus I hope I am not giving anything away -- to say that the last chapter of my book is, in some large part, about the Chef. In fact, I finished wrote the last words of that chapter in the kitchen of his restaurant, last week. After writing and editing and shaping the book, I saved my favorite chapter for the last. About 3 pm, just two hours before dinner service, it was time for the last scene in the book. It will be entirely new to readers of the blog -- in fact, at least half the book is prose and stories I wrote in the past four months, which has not shown up on the blog. I cannot tell you the ending now. But suffice it to say that it felt right.

There I was, in the kitchen of his restaurant, my laptop propped up on the sink, writing the last words of my first book, while he simmered rabbit stock and roasted pork tenderloin to my side. We both burst into happy tears when I had finished.

The YES post served as an inspiration for that last chapter.

This is why I feel so humbled and honored to have been nominated for both of these awards, but particularly the one for best post. That was -- I have to say it, because it is no exaggeration -- the most beautiful writing experience of my life.

So, if you have read the piece, and it opened something in you, well....feel free to go here to vote for it.

Other than that, please revel in the good news for other bloggers. There are so many of us out here, writing our hearts out, and trying to capture our love of food in words and photos. My dear friend Tara is nominated in the same category as me, for a wonderful post she wrote called Diary of a Mad Foodblogger. Genius. And Molly?

Well, dear Molly announced the other day that she has been given a book deal from Simon and Schuster. I've been sitting on this news for weeks, as I was happy and happier to help her through the process. And now, Molly has again been nominated for Best Food Blog. She's too modest to announce it for herself. But me? I can. Go vote for Molly. Seriously.


Me? Well, as silly and hackneyed as it sounds, I truly am humbled to have been nominated. I've been so out of the food blogging loop this year. It's lovely to know that you're all out there still noticing.

(And by the way, on that note -- whoa! happy, happy days it has been, reading all your comments on the fact that I finished my book. Seriously -- thank you.)

Okay, consider this a little interruption. It's time to go back to the Chef. He's making chicken cacciatore from scratch, the Italian way.

I know. I'll be quiet now.

See you next week, everyone.

27 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger shady charbonnet said...

Hope he puts peas in the cacciatore!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shauna, have you tried this beer yet?
http://www.anheuser-busch.com/press_room/redbridge_122006.html
Tasty! And they have it at Whole Foods for $7.99/sixpack.

 
At 4:50 AM, Blogger ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Everytime I come here there is more wonderful news:) I love your blog and am not surprised at all that you or your post were nominated. May more good things keep coming your way!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger mary grimm said...

Congrats on being nominated; and double congrats on meeting your deadline. I was rooting for you! and can't wait to buy the book.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Geo said...

There's almost nothing I love more than to see those who share joy with others grow in their joy. Congratulations all around, and you have my vote!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Loner said...

in a world where there are so many storiew withough happy endings, it is so fantastic to read about love in action - andit is no surprise that we just eat it up, well, so to speak. Congrats, I'm off to vote.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Bengali Chick said...

Congrats!!!! I'm off to go vote now. I hope you win (keeping my fingers crossed).

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Rachael Narins said...

Well, as the person who nominated YES, I am super-duper excited it made it to the top five. It made me smile and cry (in a good way) all the way through.

Bravo my dear, on everything.

And I have to mention, the "best post," post that I nominated last year won...Im just sayin'...

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shauna, I'm so glad I stumbled on to your site. I had been looking for a restaurant for my birthday, and was doing a search for gluten-free desserts so I can treat myself. Your site is a treat, you write beautiful words. Congratulations on getting your book away. I hope it goes gangbusters. How exciting!

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger madre-terra said...

Have been out of cyber space and dearly missed visiting your blog.
So glad to hear that things are well and beautiful in your life. That must be the western glow I've been seeing.
Congrats on all your good news. I truly loved your "yes" post.
Happy Merry and all that.

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger Jasmine said...

You have my vote :)

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Mike Eberhart said...

Congrats on the food blog nomination. You certainly have a blog that is fun to follow, and your great storytelling abilities make it all the better. Keep up the wonderful posts in 2007!

 
At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, and here is a link to "the sensible celiac," (just in case you don't have it already!)

http://sensibleceliac.com/

Oh, and I just tried the sugar-free, gluten-free YC chocolate, and it is delicious. I gave you the link for it in your other post.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to say thank you.

I'm 15 years old and have been recently diagnosed. I'm now going through the process of learning how to eat gluten-free. I'm so glad to have run across your blog. It's wonderful and has truly inspired me.
I've always loved food and cooking and was afraid that after my diagnosis, I'd have to give up everything that's fun and spontanious about creating a meal. This blog has helped me realize that's simply not true.
I especially loved your "yes" post. It was amazing.

Thank you again!

Anna from Iowa

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Tea said...

I'm nominated in this category and I still think you should win!

Yes, my dear friend. Yes

 
At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your vignette on the Food Network, checked the blog. I love it. Terrific writing, lots of heart. And I love the Christmas picture of you and The Chef. Lots of happiness in 2007.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Trade Shows said...

Congrats on the book! I love reading your blog, ever since I started dating a gluten free girl myself. Your site has been a wealth of information for us!

Also, to the anonymous looking for desserts, check out WellnessGrocer.com for all kinds of gluten free dessert mixes. I love the brownies.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger nika said...

Congrats again! I think we are in "danger" of starting a "yes" meme.. I predict its spreading throughout food-blogostan as we speak..:-)

I say YES to the hard work you have done to pour so much into your writing. Looking forward to your book.

Hope you are ready for the rollercoaster and I hope you find some published author mentors who can lend you some perspective on the process of becoming a marketable and marketed author. I am sure it can do quite a number on your life!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I for one will say that I'm not sick of hearing about your joy and happiness, and would say never shut up. You inspire so many of us to keep dreaming and hoping and working toward the things we love and desire in this life. You get my vote, and best wishes as well. I have a feeling 07 is going to be even better than 06 for you, if that's possible. :-)

 
At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice mention of you on the Food Network

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mais No! Don't ever stop talking about Love & Food. What you & the Chef have is wonderful & rare & the fact that you are willing to share it with the world is a very very special thing. Indeed.

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Soul Kitten said...

Hey Shauna! I was at the doctor today for my annual exam, and she asked if I had any allergies. I told her that I have celiac and don't eat gluten. She said, "I saw this wonderful lady on Food Network, talking about gluten" and I said "Shauna, the gluten free girl!?" and she said, "Yes, she was so inspiring". So I told her more about you and your YES tat and the Chef and how you are really the poster woman for the deliberate creation of a joyful life. She said she'd pass your website on to other patients with gluten sensitivities/celiac disease. YAY! Keep up all the great work in 2007!!!

 
At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Just found your recipes and blog, and showed it to my daughter with celiac. She is 7 years old, and would like to try your idea about pomegranate marshmallows. Do you have a recipe for them? Thanks for your many ideas and so much info. Mom of marshmallow eater

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Piegirl said...

hi, i just read your YES piece, and i voted for it! i used to think nobody else could be more in love and silly romantics than me and my husband, but i think you've proven me wrong (as much as i hate to admit)! congratulations and good luck on the votes! most importantly, i'm so happy that you've found your soul mate!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

congratulations on finishing the book AND your nominations! Such exciting times.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Lynn Barry said...

Is the YES permanently tattooed? If so wow if not phew...hehehehe

HUGS And LOVE...you are the WO-MAN!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Slightly off-topic... just wanted to say, "thanks!" for your wonderful roast chicken recipe. It was a revelation; I've never chicken that juicy and tender. (and it goes beautifully with lemon-pistachio pilaf, a green salad and Riesling.) I think 2007 is going to be a banner year for both of us. Congrats, friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home