This Page

has been moved to new address

readings, Colorado, and pumpkin pie

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* Primary layout */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; border: 0; text-align: left; color: #554; background: #692 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/outerwrap.gif) top center repeat-y; font: Trebuchet;serif } img { border: 0; display: block; } /* Wrapper */ #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; padding: 0; border: 0; width: 692px; text-align: seft; background: #fff url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/innerwrap.gif) top right repeat-y; font-size:80%; } /* Header */ #blog-header { color: #ffe; background: #8b2 url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/headbotborder.gif) bottom left repeat-x; margin: 0 auto; padding: 0 0 15px 0; border: 0; } #blog-header h1 { font-size: 24px; text-align: left; padding: 15px 20px 0 20px; margin: 0; background-image: url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/topper.gif); background-repeat: repeat-x; background-position: top left; } #blog-header p { font-size: 110%; text-align: left; padding: 3px 20px 10px 20px; margin: 0; line-height:140%; } /* Inner layout */ #content { padding: 0 20px; } #main { width: 400px; float: left; } #sidebar { width: 226px; float: right; } /* Bottom layout */ Blogroll Me! #footer { clear: left; margin: 0; padding: 0 20px; border: 0; text-align: left; border-top: 1px solid #f9f9f9; background-color: #fdfdfd; } #footer p { text-align: left; margin: 0; padding: 10px 0; font-size: x-small; background-color: transparent; color: #999; } /* Default links */ a:link, a:visited { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } a:hover { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : underline; color: #8b2; background: transparent; } a:active { font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; color: #692; background: transparent; } /* Typography */ #main p, #sidebar p { line-height: 140%; margin-top: 5px; margin-bottom: 1em; } .post-body { line-height: 140%; } h2, h3, h4, h5 { margin: 25px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } h2 { font-size: large; } h3.post-title { margin-top: 5px; font-size: medium; } ul { margin: 0 0 25px 0; } li { line-height: 160%; } #sidebar ul { padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 3px; } #sidebar ul li { list-style: disc url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/diamond.gif) inside; vertical-align: top; padding: 0; margin: 0; } dl.profile-datablock { margin: 3px 0 5px 0; } dl.profile-datablock dd { line-height: 140%; } .profile-img {display:inline;} .profile-img img { float:left; margin:0 10px 5px 0; border:4px solid #8b2; } #comments { border: 0; border-top: 1px dashed #eed; margin: 10px 0 0 0; padding: 0; } #comments h3 { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: -10px; font-weight: normal; font-style: italic; text-transform: uppercase; letter-spacing: 1px; } #comments dl dt { font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; margin-top: 35px; padding: 1px 0 0 18px; background: transparent url(http://www.blogblog.com/moto_son/commentbug.gif) top left no-repeat; color: #998; } #comments dl dd { padding: 0; margin: 0; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

greenbanner

08 November 2010

readings, Colorado, and pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie II

I wish that I had the time and energy to tell you all that has been happening around here lately. Some of it — so exciting! — I can't tell you yet anyway. The rest of the links, dates, and stories I was going to tell you will have to wait until the morning.

I'm beat.

(I can't be the only one flummoxed by the time change. And why don't toddlers read the memo that says they should go to bed easily in the new time?)

So let me just tell you this before I drop off to sleep.



On Tuesday night, I will be giving a talk at my alma mater, the University of Puget Sound. (My dad teaches there too. He's going to be bursting with pride.) When I left that fine institution, with both a BA and MAT, I never expected to be asked back to speak about my career path and how to create a successful cookbook in this publishing climate.

I'll probably cry, a bit.

If you are anywhere near Tacoma tomorrow (or today, if you are reading this now), would you consider coming out to say hi? We'll be at Trimble Forum at 7:30. It's free. Plus, there's food!


Danny and I were both honored to be part of a podcast with David Leite. That David Leite. He's amazing. We so enjoyed our time with him, and especially his kindness when we were horribly late — with a sleeping toddler in a stroller — when we couldn't find the address of the studio in our email. (Thank goodness for the phone, right?) What David wrote about us made us blush.

If you don't know Leite's Culinaria, you need to start reading now.




Boulder. In one week, Danny and Lu and I will be in Colorado to celebrate the publication of our book. We have so many great events planned — a gluten-free tapas party at the Udi's restaurant in Stapleton, a reading at the Tattered Cover, and a hometown celebration for Danny at Mi Casa in Breckenridge on the 18th. (Check out their Facebook page.)

We'll be telling you the details of this soon.

However, we need your help for Boulder.

You see, we want to throw a giant potluck, like we did in New York and San Francisco. However, since it will be November in Colorado, we can't just gather in a park.

Does anyone have an idea for where we could meet indoors? Or someone want to offer a home?

We cannot wait to meet you all.


Oh, and before I go to bed, I have to say this: you see that pumpkin pie up there?

Not only is it gluten-free, but it's vegan. And it's delicious.

You'll have it soon.


24 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am soooo excited you are coming to Colorado! I am going to call around today to see if I can help you. I live in Longmont and am a member of the Boulder County Celiacs (chapter of the CSA). Thank you for choosing Colorado as one of your stops!

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Bear and Bones Mama said...

Hi there - I may have a good place for the potluck in Boulder. What day are you thinking? This is where I live: http://wildsagecohousing.org/ and the picture of the lovely house on the main page is our common house -big kitchen inside and tables and chairs. Email me and we'll figure it out.
Dale

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Pétra said...

Congratulations on all that you have going on! I can't wait to hear the exciting developments. Please say you'll be coming to Portland sometime soon, I know where you can have a potluck. I am sure there are more then a few of us here asking so I'll give it a rest now : )

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yay! Congratulations on all the exciting ... things (for lack of a better word) coming up!

I'm curious if that pie recipe is made from fresh pie since you can't get canned pie filling from here.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Shuku said...

That podcast was -wonderful-, Shauna. I enjoyed it so much. And yes, Leite's Culinaria is a gorgeous site. It's a must-read for me every day. All the best in Colorado! And that pie looks amazing. :) Can't wait!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Kelsey Ross said...

I don't have any great ideas for an indoor space, but it has been pretty darn nice here- 75 and sunny and still perfect for an outdoor gathering. (albeit, as I write this it is pouring and might snow) but the forecast for the weekend is more sun! I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was warm and sunny next week too.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger mandy said...

i couldn't wait for your recipe, so i made one myself. it involves arroroot, almond milk, blended cashews, blended silken tofu, maple syrup and pumpkin. and an almond flour crust. it is very delicious. i want to see yours though!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Colorado or Bust! Looking forward to your Tattered Cover event. See you soon!

-Paula, Rudi's Gluten-Free Bakery

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It will be great to have you in Colorado. I have access to a very nice, spacious community room with a kitchen (ovens only, no stove). It's located about 10 to 15 minutes outside of Boulder. Depending on how many people you expect, it could be an option. If other options in Boulder don't pan out for the event, I'm happy to send photos and check into availability.

Looking forward to seeing you.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Jen Maraia said...

I'm from Colorado but go to college in Boston!! I'm so upset I will not be able to join you for your gluten free activities in the great town of Boulder :(
Also, Colorado may surprise you! I know you already found a place to throw the potluck, but it's a lot warmer in Colorado than most people expect! I hope you enjoy it there, I love it.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Tulip Girl said...

I never post on your website but I frequently read it, and will be in Colorado at the same time visiting my hometown, Boulder! My brother has church in Boulder with a large kitchen and a great meeting place. If you aren't thinking about having it on a Friday or Sunday night, they could be a great option for you.
Email me and I'll find out more information for you.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger alison rogers said...

Hi there, I got your info from the kind folks at Magazine of Yoga. Live in Boulder, let me know if you still need space for the potluck.
Alison

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger ramblingSally said...

Ohhh that's devilish! That pie looks amazing!!! I can't wait to read your recipe, and try it out. It'll be perfect for the holidays!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Hey girl! Can't wait to have you here! I would also love to help any way I can. My house isn't big enough probably (it's ittybitty), but I would love to help you coordinate, set up, clean up, whatever :-) Anything I can do, let me know! Hugs, Kelly

Kelly@theSpunkyCoconut.com

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

I don't know of a free place, but the Community House at Chautauqua is a great space in a beautiful Open Space park.

 
At 4:26 AM, Blogger Cardamom Kitchen said...

Shauna, just got a copy of your new book. Can't wait to dive in. Any plans for a visit Chicago?

Cheers,
Susan

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

You are such a tease, I love it! Glad to read you have so many exciting things going on. Our kids are doing better than me with the time change. I wake each day at 3:00am. Good thing I LOVE to work that early. Best of luck in Boulder, say "hi" to Jen Yu for me :)

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger EatPlayLove said...

Can't wait until the details are sorted, my family will be there! So exciting.

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger Laura H said...

Great article in the L.A. Times this morning! I don't have celiac disease, but I am somewhat gluten intollerant and happy to have found your blog. Congragulations on your success!

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pie looks so good it's actually maddening. You're killin' me! :)

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Lory said...

I am sending another message as I had to re-sign my google a/c. I previously asked if there were any suggestions for gluten free bread. I think I have tried them all and so far unsuccessfuly. I just sent for bagels from Gluten Free Pantry and I'm hoping they're good. I also make an amazing assortment of gluten free recipes and love doing it. I feed them all to my friends who are not celiac and they love my food. Any suggestions on the bread?

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger alexis rose said...

oh my goodness! i absolutely cannot wait for this recipe. i'm wheat AND egg intolerant, and coming up on thanksgiving, my first and only attempt at making a vegan gluten free pumpkin pie left much to be desired.

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger OceanEyes117 said...

You went to Puget Sound! I went to Puget Sound too! I loved Puget Sound! I didn't end up graduating from there, but I still loved my time there. I knew I liked you for reason! Aw, Tacoma... I hope you enjoyed it! What does your Dad teach? I wonder if I ever had him for a prof?

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger LADYWILLA said...

YES. I finally get to meet you after 2 years. I will be at the tattered cover on tues. I won't be able to make the saturday potluck. I have a horse class at mustang ranch in Broomfield.
I will be an honor to meet my teacher (the nov 09 food blog writing class). I will post on my blog. SEE you GIRLIE on tuesday.

Kathy B
blog.gfdiner.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home